Birth Control and Your Thyroid: Everything You Need to Know
with Dr. Jolene Brighten, NMD
Welcome to Thyroid Refresh TV!
In this episode, we speak with Dr. Jolene Brighten about all things Beyond the Pill and thyroid—even postpartum thyroiditis! Dr. Brighten, NMD, is one of the leading experts in women’s medicine and is a pioneer in her exploration of the far-reaching impact of hormonal birth control and the little known side effects that impact health in a large way.
In her best selling book, Beyond the Pill, she shares her clinical protocols aimed at supporting women struggling with symptoms of hormone imbalance, including Post-Birth Control Pill Syndrome and birth control related side effects.
A trained nutritional biochemist and Naturopathic Physician, Dr. Brighten is the founder and Clinic Director at Rubus Health, an integrative women’s medicine clinic. She is a member of the MindBodyGreen Collective and has been featured in prominent media outlets such as Forbes, Cosmopolitan, ABC news, and the New York Post.
Join us as we chat with Dr. Brighten about all things birth control, thyroid, and postpartum thyroiditis. Tune in to hear our discussion!
Listen/Watch time: 40 minutes
The evolution of hormonal birth control has become a one-size-fits-all ‘fix’ to any female issue. I call it the pill for any female ill.
– dr. brighten
- (01:47) What is the driving force and message behind Beyond the Pill?
- (09:00) Can hormonal birth control affect a woman’s thyroid health?
- (25:25) Pregnancy as a trigger for thyroid issues (e.g. postpartum thyroiditis)
- (36:00) Dr. Brighten’s main takeaway for listeners
Hormonal birth control (the pill, specifically) leads to nutrient deficiency (things like vitamin A, zinc, selenium, magnesium, B vitamins)—things we need to make thyroid hormone, convert thyroid hormone, and use it at the cellular level.
– dr. brighten
- Subscribe to Thyroid Refresh TV
- Find Dr. Brighten online
- Beyond the Pill book bonuses
- Post Birth Control Syndrome Quick-Start Detox Guide
- Postpartum Thyroiditis: All You Need to Know by Mary Shomon