How to Exercise Safely and Effectively at Any Age
with Debra Atkinson of Flipping Fifty
Welcome to Thyroid Refresh TV!
In this episode, we speak with Wellness Coach and Fitness Expert Debra Atkinson, who has helped 150,000 women “flip” their second half with the vitality and energy they want.
She’s the author of You Still Got It, Girl: The After 50 Fitness Formula for Women, Navigating Fitness After 50, and Hot, Not Bothered. Debra hosts Flipping 50 TV and the Flipping 50 podcast.
She is a frequent speaker and expert recognized by AARP, Washington Post, Prevention Magazine, and USA Today.
Join us as we chat with Debra about all things exercise, and what is more effective as we get older. We dive into strength training, workout duration, workout frequency, the importance of rest, and much more! Tune in to hear our discussion!
Listen/Watch time: 40 minutes
Fitness happens between exercise sessions.
– debra atkinson
- (03:00) How do the needs of our bodies change as we age?
- (06:50) How autoimmune/thyroid/adrenal issues can flare up due to over-exercise.
- (16:30) The importance of strength training.
- (23:00) What is a “heavy” weight?
- (25:40) How do we exercise without injuring ourselves?
- (32:30) Body-weight exercises vs. external weights.
- (37:00) Debra’s three main takeaways for listeners.
I think we forget that your body is sending you clues and signals and signs about whether this is really working or not. And the whole purpose of exercise has always been to feel better, and make our activities of daily living easier.
– debra atkinson
- Subscribe to Thyroid Refresh TV
- Debra’s website
- Debra’s 12-week strength training program. Starting October 1. Registration closes September 30th!
- Get Debra’s FREE 5-day kickstart here
- Get Debra’s FREE knee-friendly workout here
- Workout: Simple, Safe, and Sane Strength Training at Home
- Workout: Better than Barre Video
- Article: How to Avoid an Exercise-Induced Symptom Flare-Up
- Article: The Goldilocks Principle: What Exercises Are Just Right for You?