What Thyroid Patients Need to Know About Hair Loss
with Britt Reuter, MS, LN, LDN, CNS
Welcome to Thyroid Refresh TV!
In this episode of the podcast, we speak with Britt Reuter, MS, LN, LDN, CNS. Britt is a Licensed Dietitian Nutritionist, Certified Nutrition Specialist, and the author of the eBook Girl’s Guide to Reversing Hair Loss. She graduated Summa Cum Laude from the Master of Science in Human Nutrition program at the University of Bridgeport.
Britt’s personal experience with chronic inflammation, coupled with her formal training in nutrition and functional medicine, is what empowers her to help women overcome the symptoms they feel stuck with so they can get back to living their best life. Britt lives in the Boston area, consulting with female clients across the US via webcam and phone.
Join us for an informative discussion with Britt about all things hair loss: how the thyroid is related to hair health, why finding your root cause is so important, how inflammation affects hair, and loads more. Tune in to learn more!
Listen/Watch time: 47 minutes
The hair growth process is very energy-demanding. It relies on fully functioning mitochondria (which are those little powerhouses in our cells), which in turn depend on fully functioning thyroid hormone.
– britt reuter
- (03:25) Hair loss is a textbook symptom of thyroid imbalance. Why are hair and thyroid so intertwined?
- (06:15) What if you’re still shedding hair even on medication and with normal thyroid labs? What could explain hair shedding in those instances?
- (11:51) How stress impacts hair loss
- (23:40) Possible preventative measures
- (38:30) The importance of listening to your body
- (40:00) Is dry shampoo bad for us?
- (44:10) Britt’s top three takeaways for listeners
We’ve been conditioned to think of hair loss as a topical issue that needs a topical solution. But healthy hair starts on the inside, not the outside, not with topical treatments. Those treatments are a symptom-based approach…they do zero to address the underlying root cause.
– britt reuter
- Subscribe to Thyroid Refresh TV
- Find Britt online
- Article: Is Your Thyroid Optimized for Hair Growth?
- Girls Guide to Reversing Hair Loss, (an e-book by Britt Reuter)
- “What’s Your Hair Loss Type?” Healthy hair starts here! Learn your hair loss type by taking this free quiz HERE
- “Girl’s Guide to Dry Shampoo”. Learn how many of the commercial brands are damaging to your hair and get Britt’s top clean-beauty picks for what to use instead. Download it HERE.